A simple from-scratch lemon cupcake has blackberry buttercream frosting. This cupcake is a refreshing hit! Garnish each cupcake with a blackberry or a pinch of lemon zest..
Lemon Cupcake with Blackberry Buttercream
makes 2 dozen cupcakes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup seedless blackberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.Cream sugar and 1/2 cup butter in the bowl of a stand mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and mix 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract into mixture with the second egg.
- Beat in flour and baking powder until thoroughly combined; beat in milk, lemon juice, and lemon zest to make a smooth batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cupcake edges are slightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool cupcakes completely.
- Beat 1 cup butter with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and salt until smooth and creamy. Beat in confectioners' sugar, 1 cup at a time, to make a creamy frosting. Beat in blackberry jam. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.