Also sometimes called 'Mexican wedding cookie', 'Russian tea cakes', or 'butterballs', can also be made into crescents. You can also substitute pecans and they are very good as well. This is the best version of these I have ever seen, it was given me by a friend who grew up in central Europe..
Italian Wedding Cookies
makes 80 cookies
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground almonds
- 4 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Cream butter or margarine in a bowl, gradually add confectioners' sugar and salt. Beat until light and fluffy. Add almonds and vanilla. Blend in flour gradually and mix well.
- Shape into balls (or crescents) using about 1 teaspoon for each cookie. Place on ungreased cookie sheets, and bake for 15-20 min. Do not brown. Cool slightly, then roll in the extra confectioners' sugar.