An easy, crowd-pleasing breakfast or brunch idea. Try playing with the ingredients to dress it up or down, depending on your occasion
Charleston Breakfast Casserole
makes 8 servings
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups croutons
- 2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Melt butter in the microwave, or in a small pan on the stove over low heat. Spray a 9x12 inch baking dish with vegetable spray. Place croutons in the bottom of the dish, and drizzle with melted butter. Sprinkle with grated Cheddar cheese.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl, whisking to break up the yolks. Add milk, peppers, mustard, salt, and pepper, and beat until well-combined. Pour over the croutons and cheese, and sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand 10 minutes before serving.