This recipe turns out perfectly even with evaporated milk in a 9x13 pan. I usually double the recipe and use a 16x12x1 in. cookie sheet. I also leave out the walnuts b/c of personal preference. Granted the filling can be a little tedious(constant stirring) but its minimal effort for an incredibly tasty bar. I HAVE to bring these to every event I attend or risk being shunned by friends and family alike!
Chocolate Oatmeal Bars
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chip
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 inch square baking pan.
- To prepare Filling: In a heavy pot, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and chocolate chips. Add the evaporated milk and 1/4 cup of the white sugar. Bring to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in nuts and cool.
- To prepare cookie base: Cream 1 1/2 cups of the butter and the brown sugar together. Add the vanilla and the egg, and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and 1 3/4 cups of the oats and blend well.
- Press 2/3 of this mixture into the bottom of the greased pan. Spread the cooled filling on top of the cookie crust.
- Mix the remaining 1/4 cup of oats with the remainder of the cookie base, and crumble over the filling. Bake for 25-30 minutes.