Holiday Seven-Layer Bars
original recipe: http://www.midwestliving.com/recipe/bars/holiday-seven-layer-bars
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers (48 wafers) or shortbread cookies (33 cookies)
- 1 14 - ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butterscotch-flavored pieces, candy-coated milk caramels (such as Sugar Babies®), snipped* vanilla caramels, semisweet chocolate pieces, or red and green candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 1 6 - ounce package white baking chocolate, white confectionery bars, chopped, or 1 cup white baking pieces
- 1 cup mixed dried fruit bits, coarsely chopped dried apricots, golden raisins, dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 1 1/3 cups flaked or shredded coconut
- 1 cup unsalted mixed nuts or lightly salted roasted cashew pieces, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan. Place butter in prepared pan; place in oven about 5 minutes or until butter is melted. Tilt pan to coat bottom evenly. Sprinkle with crushed wafers.
Drizzle crust evenly with sweetened condensed milk. Sprinkle with butterscotch-flavored pieces, chopped white chocolate, fruit bits, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with the back of a spoon.
Bake 25 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Use foil to lift it out of pan. Cut into bars. (To store, place bars in a single layer in an airtight container; cover. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or place in a freezer container, freeze for up to 3 months.) Makes 30 bars.
Use a kitchen scissors to snip vanilla caramels into smaller pieces. If caramels stick to the scissors, lightly coat the scissors with nonstick cooking spray.
Potassium (mg) 132, sodium (mg) 94, Riboflavin (mg) 0, Niacin (mg) 1, Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 0, sugar (g) 20, fiber (g) 1, Folate (µg) 8, vit. A (IU) 146, vit. C (mg) 1, calcium (mg) 61, Thiamin (mg) 0, iron (mg) 1, Fat, total (g) 13, carb. (g) 29, pro. (g) 2, cal. (kcal) 247, Polyunsaturated fat (g) 1, Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 0, Monosaturated fat (g) 4, sat. fat (g) 8, chol. (mg) 13