photo credit: http://www.nlrockrecipes.com
original recipe: http://www.nlrockrecipes.com/2012/01/turtle-cookies.html
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup very good quality cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 dozen individually wrapped caramel candies
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine thoroughly.
- Add the flour mixture to the sweetened butter. Mix only enough to incorporate flour. Do not overmix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1 inch balls and dunk one half of the ball into the chopped pecans.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet 3 inches apart with the side dunked in pecans facing upward. Press down slightly. Gently push one caramel candy half way into the center of each cookie ball.
- Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees F. Do not over bake or cookies will be brittle.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool thoroughly. You can drizzle the tops of the cookies with melted chocolate as well but that's completely optional.