photo credit: http://www.pauladeen.com
Caramel Apple Cheesecake Bars with Streusel Topping
original recipe: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/caramel_apple_cheesecake_bars_with_streusel_toppin/
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Streusel topping (recipe follows)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup caramel topping
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a medium bowl, combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 13-by-9-by-2 inch baking pan lined with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
In a large bowl, beat cream cheese with 1/2 cup sugar in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth. Then add eggs, 1 at a time, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Pour over warm crust.
In a small bowl, stir together chopped apples, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle evenly with Streusel topping. Bake 30 minutes, or until filling is set. Drizzle with caramel topping.
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.