photo credit: http://www.pauladeen.com
Turkey Cranberry Monte Cristo
original recipe: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipes/recipe_view/turkey_cranberry_monte_cristo/
- 8 slices bread (potato bread, challah, or any other soft bread)
- 1 cup fontina cheese, grated
- 8 slices cooked turkey breast
- 1/2 cup whole cranberry sauce
- 1 cup baby arugula leaves
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup milk
- pinch nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Lay the 4 slices of the bread out on a cutting board.
- On each slice, place 2 tablespoons of the fontina, followed by 2 slices of the turkey, and 2 tablespoons of the cranberry sauce.
- Equally divide the arugula leaves and place on next layer.
- Top with the remaining fontina and remaining bread slices.
- Press down ﬁrmly on sandwiches to seal in the ﬁlling.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, milk, and nutmeg.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter.
- Dip each sandwich into the egg mixture coating both sides.
- When butter is melted in skillet, add the sandwiches and cook until golden brown.
- Flip sandwich and repeat with other side, adding more butter if necessary.
- Remove from pan, drain on paper towels, and let sit for a few minutes.
- Cut in halves and serve.